Ivan Meleshenko is a partner at RGP. For over 15 years, Ivan has represented clients in a wide range of areas such as: dispute resolution, investigations, domestic and international tax issues, customs regulations, as well as corporate mergers and acquisitions. He has extensive experience in developing complex strategies aimed at solving corporate conflicts and commercial disputes, handling challenging cross-border proceedings, including parallel litigations and arbitrations in multiple jurisdictions, internal investigations and investigations of regulatory and law enforcement bodies, as well as asset tracing and recovery worldwide. In addition to the above, Ivan focuses on international investment arbitration: he represented foreign investors in the disputes arising out of the breach of investment protection treaties with the Baltic, Central and Eastern European, Central Asian and African states.
Prior to joining RGP, Ivan was a counsel at the Moscow office of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, and prior to that, an attorney at Hogan & Hartson and Noerr.
Landmark engagement experience
- Representing PJSC Tatneft in US$380 million litigation proceedings in England against Igor Kolomoysky, Gennady Bogolyubov, Alexander Yaroslavsky and Pavel Ovcharenko in connection with charges of embezzling funds payable for oil supplied to Kremenchug Refinery.
- Representing a Russian businessman in US legal proceedings initiated against a private individual on the basis of a claim for unjust enrichment.
- Representing one of the key shareholders of OJSC MegaFon in connection with a corporate dispute related to a proposed plan of asset combination in a number of regions.
- Representing a Russian businessman in arbitration proceedings against a Baltic country in connection with expropriation of assets and discrimination of investments in the financial sector.
- Representing an international group of companies in court and administrative bodies in five jurisdictions in connection with a corporate conflict and lawsuits arising out of embezzlement of the group companies' assets.
- Representing a Russian investment group in connection with considering the expediency and preparing the arbitration proceedings against a Central Asian Republic.
- Advising on various tax planning aspects of the Norilsk Nickel Group’s US$6.3 billion acquisition of LionOre Mining International.
- Advising on international tax structures in connection with the sale of a majority stake and an option for full ownership of OOO NASTA Insurance Company to Zurich Financial Services Group.
- Advising Ford Motor Company on the tax aspects of the US$2.3 billion disposal of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motor.
- Advice on the greenfield investment project of Volkswagen AG in Kaluga Region, representing the investor in negotiations with the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of the Russian Federation regarding tax and customs concessions.
- PhD, Moscow State Institute for International Relations, 2008
- DL, Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), cum laude, 2003
- LLB, Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), cum laude, 2002
- Russia (2002)