Our lawyers have extensive experience in representing clients in Russian courts.
Members of our team have represented, among others, clients in the following domestic litigations:
- Representing T Plus as a bankruptcy creditor of Group E4 before the Russian courts
in subsidiary liability proceedings over US$400 million initiated against E4’s former beneficiary, former Russian minister, Mikhail Abyzov.
- Representing a nationalized Irish bank in Russian bankruptcy proceedings and corporate disputes (one of which was heard by the Supreme Arbitrazh Court of the Russian Federation), real estate disputes and parallel litigations in Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Cyprus, Panama and Belize. The value of the dispute was approximately 3 billion EUR.
- Representing a UK-headquartered multinational oil and gas company in a number of disputes in Siberia totalling approximately US$500 million against a minority shareholder with respect to control over a major Russian oil company.
- Representing an owner of a luxurious Swissôtel hotel in a dispute against a minority shareholder resulting from a mandatory tender offer for shares worth over US$180 million.
- Representing a major German bank in a number of disputes in Russia (Rostov, Stavropol and Krasnodar) against one of the largest agricultural companies in the CIS and its subsidiaries following a US$300 million default under English law-governed facility agreements.
- Representing an international oil company in Russian courts in connection with a major corporate dispute.
- Representing a shareholder of a major Russian private energy supply company and legal entities controlled by this shareholder before Russian courts in Moscow, Novgorod, Omsk, Orel, Novosibirsk and Tomsk in a number of disputes with other shareholders over control of the company with an annual turnover of approximately US$8 billion.
- Advising Sakhalin-1 consortium members (Exxon Neftegaz Limited, Sodeco and ONGC Videsh) in the Arbitrazh court of the Sakhalin region in a dispute with Rosneft regarding subsoil use in Sakhalin.
- Representing Russian subsidiaries of an Austria’s largest retailer in more than 35 disputes and a number of bankruptcy proceedings, which related to the misappropriation of certain retail assets in more than 30 supermarkets in Moscow and Tula worth tens of millions of dollars and the pledge of those assets to top Russian banks.
- Representing an owner of a logistics centre in a dispute with the administration of one of the districts of the Moscow region regarding the illegal takeover of a multimillion-dollar land plot under the logistics centre, as well as obtaining an asset-freezing order over the land plot (land plots in dispute were 2,739 ha).
- Representing a US shareholder of two Russian cartridge plants in corporate disputes regarding the challenge of exclusive distribution agreements and supply agreements regarding the sale of cartridges to the US (amount in dispute is approximately US$400 million).
- Representing a Dutch bank in its debtor’s bankruptcy proceedings and in a parallel dispute on invalidation of loan agreements reviewed by a court of general jurisdiction, including in the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation.
- Representing Limitless, a UAE investor, in a dispute over a JV with a Russian developer in Russian arbitrazh courts, and advising Limitless on Cyprus court proceedings and LCIA arbitration proceedings.
- Representing NPF Safmar and its management companies in a number of disputes with the Central Bank of Russia and state-owned banks in Russian arbitrazh courts.
- Representing members of a bank’s board of directors in an isolated dispute regarding directors’ subsidiary liability.
- Representing a large alcohol company in connection with bankruptcy proceedings of an alcohol producer, including in the Supreme Arbitrazh Court of the Russian Federation.
- Representing a foreign state in courts of general jurisdiction in a dispute arising out of a real estate purchase and sale agreement complicated by jurisdictional immunity of the foreign state.
- Representing a Lithuanian leasing company in connection with enforcement of an international arbitral award against an air carrier domiciled in a CIS member state.
- Representing a large construction engineering company in a dispute on reimbursement of environmental damage caused by ship sinking in the Caspian Sea.
- Representing a large petrochemical holding company in a dispute with a constituent entity of the Russian Federation and a municipal entity on termination of regional environmental project co-funding transactions.
- Representing a new shareholder of JSCB Probusinessbank’s subsidiary in an isolated dispute on invalidation of trades in subsidiary’s shares.
- Representing a large German company with a branch in Russia in enforcement proceedings initiated upon application of a Romanian company after a Russian state arbitrazh court issued a ruling on recognition and enforcement in Russia of a decision of a Romanian state court.
How to find us:
Rybalkin, Gortsunyan & Partners LLC
Entrance C, 5th Floor,
2, Tsvetnoy Boulevard,
Landline: +7 495 139 6500
Fax: +7 495 139 6501