Our litigation practice focuses on representing Russian and international parties in disputes in courts ofinternational jurisdictions. We know the procedure and are usually entrusted by our clients to navigate them in the waters of overseas jurisdictions. We have a wide network of barristers, solicitors and dispute specialists in all jurisdictions that are relevant to the Russian context and work side-by-side with them and our clients to achieve the best results.
We are currently representing PJSC Tatneft, Russia’s fifth biggest oil company, in US$380 million English litigation proceedings and a freezing injunction application in the High Court against four Ukrainian oligarchs – Messrs. Igor Kolomoysky, Gennady Bogolyubov, Pavel Ovcharenko and Alexander Yaroslavsky – in relation to huge and complex alleged cross-border fraudulent activities.
Members of our team have represented, among others, clients in the following landmark litigation proceedings:
- Representing Renova Group, one of the largest Russia-based private business groups and a major diversified industrial and investment conglomerate. Our dispute resolution team is advising this client in a US$1 billion litigation case of exceptional factual and legal complexity in several jurisdictions. It concerns the ownership of IES (currently T Plus), Russia’s largest power generation company and one of the biggest privately-owned energy & natural resources companies in Russia.
- Representing a large Russian energy company in an asset recovery case worth more than US$1 billion with respect to a complex international fraud and corruption case involving eight jurisdictions.
- Representing a nationalised Irish bank in Russian multi-billion dollar bankruptcy corporate disputes and real estate disputes in Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Cyprus, Panama and Belize.
- Preparing a memorandum for the Russian Ministry of Justice, explaining the reasons for the refusal to serve a notice of a dispute initiated in a state court of Canada upon the principal in accordance with Article 13 of the 1965 Hague Convention on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents in Civil or Commercial Matters.
- Representing one of the world’s largest metal companies in an asset tracing and recovery case against a former executive officer of the company who embezzled in excess of US$50 million.
- Representing an Israeli businessman in a US$550 million lawsuit in New York concerning the enforcement of a promissory note as consideration for shares in a massive coal company in Siberia.
- Representing the interests of a leading international oil service company in connection with a corporate conflict and embezzlement of assets in five jurisdictions.
- Representing a confidential client in a complicated ongoing corporate dispute between two shareholders of a Cypriot holding company owning a major sawmill.
- Advising a leading Russian mining company in relation to the embezzlement and laundering of tens of millions of US dollar company funds by former top managers; the investigation involved multiple jurisdictions (Belize, Cyprus, Switzerland, Panama and the United States) and a number of civil and criminal actions against the wrongdoers, and resulted in almost a complete recovery of misappropriated funds.
- Representing one of the shareholders in OJSC MegaFon in developing and implementing a litigation strategy in relation to an imposed business combination affecting its shareholder rights and which potentially violates Russian regulations.
- Representing Russian producers of rifle and pistol cartridges in relation to a number of trademark disputes against a US ammunition supplier before Ukrainian and US courts.
- Representing the largest Russian state-controlled bank in a trademark violations dispute in California (US) with US$100 million value.
How to find us:
Rybalkin, Gortsunyan & Partners LLC
Entrance B, 5th Floor,
2, Tsvetnoy Boulevard,
Landline: +7 495 139 6500
Fax: +7 495 139 6501