UK-qualified Anthony Walker is noted by clients for being "extremely fast and extremely responsive, he is also able to draft extremely complicated documents." Further clients highlight his attention to detail on complex mandates, describing him as "very diligent and very thorough." Chambers and Partners Global 2020
Anthony Walker is a senior adviser at RGP. He is a solicitor qualified in England and Wales and a recognised expert with more that 15 years’ experience in international corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, and related disputes. Anthony has a vast experience in supporting complex M&A deals. Over the span of his professional career, he has taken part in some of the largest corporate projects and deals, many of which have been high-profile in the Russian market. He also represented clients in disputes arising out of a breach of the terms of share purchase agreements, shareholders’ agreements and joint venture agreements. His clients include major companies in energy, sales, construction, industrial and transportation sectors, banks and investment funds, telecommunication holdings and petrochemical companies.
Before joining RGP, Anthony was a senior lawyer at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP and before that a counsel at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld.
Languages: English, Russian
Landmark engagement experience
Mr. Walker’s engagements include (includes experience in prior firms)
- Advising the purchaser of a major Russian tobacco business in relation to its rights under key warranties and indemnities given by the seller. Preparing pre-action notices and settlement agreements.
- Advising a leading bank on its rights as secured lender in relation to a default under plane leasing arrangements.
- Advising the shareholders of a leading Russian wood-pulp manufacturer on their rights and liabilities under a guarantee and other security documents relating to a potential default under a secured loan facility.
- Japan Tobacco on its acquisition of the Donskoy Tabak group for approximately $1.6bn.
Online Retail and Banking
- Sberbank on two simultaneous transactions under which Sberbank sold its 45% stake in Yandex.Market to Yandex for a cash consideration of RUB 42bn and acquired Yandex’s 25% interest in Yandex.Money for RUB 2.4bn.
- The National Bank of Greece on its proposed sale of 75 per cent Ethniki National Insurance for approximately €700m and associated joint venture agreement.
- The National Bank of Greece on its sale of non-core banking subsidiaries in multiple European jurisdictions including Albania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Cyprus and Romania.
Commercial and Office Real Estate
- A Russian investment group on its sale to MegaFon, a leading Russian telecoms operator, of a 50 per cent interest in Office Development "Sadovoye Koltso", Moscow, Russia, for approximately $400m.
- A Russian real estate group in relation to its acquisition of a 50% interest in a Moscow shopping center.
- Renova on the consolidation of its shareholding in Multinational Logistics Partnership (MLP), one of Russia and Ukraine’s largest and most successful logistics operators, and on the subsequent sale of 100% of its shares.
- Coalco Development on the sale of a 50% interest in the White Square Class A office and retail complex in Moscow for $400m.
- Mitsui on its acquisition, together with state-owned Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corp., of a 10% participating interest in Arctic LNG 2 LLC from NOVATEK.
- The shareholder on the sale of the SamaraNefteGaz group to Rosneft for approximately US$ 350m.
- USM Group on its sale of Yota, a leading Russia 4G operator to MegaFon for approximately $1.75bn.
- USM Group and MegaFon on their acquisition of 50 per cent of Euroset, a leading mobile retail chain, for approximately $1bn.
- Inter-RAO on its long-term venture with General Electric in relation to the establishment of a Gas Turbine manufacturing business in Russia.
- Sistema JSFC on its potential joint venture with Fresenius Kabi, a German pharmaceutical company which is part of the global health care group Fresenius SE & Co KGaA.
- The founders of a company manufacturing high-powered cables in connection with the sale of a 60% interest to a strategic investor and related shareholders’ agreement.
- VTB on the restructuring of the financing arrangements for the Borrower and a restructuring of the holding structure, for a PPP project constructing part of the road around St Petersburg.
- A major Russian manufacturing group on its rights and obligations in relation to a potential default under a secured $100m facility.
- BA (hons) in Law, Cambridge University, 1999
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales, 2003
- Registered as an English law arbitrator with the Russian Arbitration Center, the Vienna International Arbitration Center and (confirmation pending) the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center for English law disputes with a Russian arbitral forum
Recognitions & Awards
- Chambers & Partners Global 2016-2020 – ranked for Corporate/M&A work in Russia
- Chambers & Partners Europe 2016-2020 – ranked for Corporate/M&A work in Russia
- The Best Lawyers 2013-2021 – ranked among the top Corporate lawyers in Russia