Vadim Vunukainen is an associate in RGP arbitration practice. During his career, he has participated in dozens of arbitrations under ICC, SCC, LCIA and ICAC at the RF CCI arbitration rules as a counsel. Further, he has gained experience in the role of a tribunal secretary. Apart from international disputes, Vadim is experienced in advising on Russian litigation projects. His expertise covers construction disputes with a particular focus on FIDIC arbitrations, financial and banking disputes, as well as corporate conflicts including those involving parallel cross-border proceedings. Vadim’s projects involve issues of Austrian, English, Belarussian, Chinese, Luxembourg, German, Russian, Finnish, Czech, Swedish and Swiss law. Previously, during his professional studies, he held the position of the Chair of Students’ Civil Law Association at Saint Petersburg State University, as well as participated in William C. Vis Moot and ELSA Moot on WTO law.
Prior to joining RGP, Vadim was an associate in litigation and arbitration practice of one of the largest Russian law firms. He also worked at the Moscow office of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton and at the Saint-Petersburg office of Finnish law firm Borenius.
Landmark engagement experience
- Representing a Russian management company in an arbitration under the ICAC Rules against a member state of the CIS in a dispute on the recovery of losses resulting from improper performance of the terms of a sovereign guarantee
- Representing a subsidiary of Rosatom State Corporation in an international arbitration under the ICC Rules in a dispute arising out of a construction contract
- Representing a Russian construction company in an international arbitration under the ICC Rules in a dispute with a subcontractor arising out of a FIDIC contract for the construction of a complex linear infrastructure facility
- Representing a Russian construction company in several international arbitrations under the ICC Rules in relation to construction of a large power facility
- Representing a shipbuilding company in two international arbitrations under the SCC and the ICC Rules in the disputes arising out of a supply agreement and services agreement
- Representing a Belgian-Russian JV in an arbitration under the ICAC Rules in a dispute with a German contractor on the recovery of payments for additional work
- Representing a petrochemical company in a dispute arising out of supply and transhipment contracts under the SCC Rules
- Representing the owner of a large oil production plant in a dispute arising out of a loan agreement under the ICAC Rules
- Representing a foreign contractor in a dispute with a Russian customer arising out of a FIDIC contract under the ICC Rules
Domestic and cross-border litigation
- Representing a TOP-3 Russian pension fund and its asset management companies in multiple disputes against state-owned banks and the Central Bank of the Russian Federation in Russian commercial courts
- Advising a state-owned Russian company on a €50 million dispute with a former employee in parallel proceedings in Guernsey, BVI and Luxembourg
- Representing a bondholder in Russian commercial courts in a dispute with the bond issuer in connection with restructuring a bond issue on the basis of a resolution of the general bondholders’ meeting
- Representing a Russian-German JV in a dispute with a buyer in connection with supplies of chemicals of substandard quality in Russian commercial courts
- Representing a management company of a large infrastructure facility located in Moscow in its dispute with a counterparty on the recovery of amounts allegedly overpaid under a contract in Russian commercial courts
- LLM, National Research University - Higher School of Economics, 2019
- LLB, St Petersburg State University, 2016
- Six programs of European Law Student Association (ELSA) in Athens, Dublin, Geneva, Vienna and Warsaw on corporate law, international commercial and investment arbitration, 2015-2020
- Russia, 2016
Recognitions & Awards
- The Legal 500 "Arbitration Powerlist: CIS and Caucasus" - recommended among the leading arbitration experts of the region in 2020.