Alexander Lazarev is a counsel at RGP's Dispute Resolution practice, focusing on litigation and arbitration in Russia. He also has extensive experience advising Russian and international clients on construction, commercial, corporate and real estate disputes, bankruptcy cases, and on recognition and enforcement of foreign common court and arbitral awards.
Prior to joining RGP, Alexander was a dispute resolution associate with the Moscow office of Dechert for nearly ten years.
Alexander is recognized by the international law firm ranking guide The Legal 500 EMEA where clients recommend him as "a strategic thinker with a very pragmatic approach".
Landmark engagement experience
- Representing a major Russian metallurgical plant in the arbitration proceedings under the rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce before (SCC) against a Chinese contractor in a dispute valued at US$200 million, as well as in a dispute on recognition and enforcement of arbitral award.
- Representing a leading Turkish development and construction company on numerous arbitrations with amount of each exceeding US$ several hundred million before the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation (ICAC) emerging from construction projects in Russia and CIS.
- Representing major Russian businessmen and their companies in several US$ multibillion arbitrations before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and court proceedings in Cyprus arising from construction of a landmark hotel complex in Moscow.
- Representing Russian major businessmen and their companies in several US$ multibillion dollar arbitrations before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and court proceedings in Cyprus arising from construction of legendary hotel in Moscow.
- Consulting a group of Eurobond noteholders (the amount of claims is circa US$240 million) on a restructuring and potential enforcement proceedings against a Russian leading transportation and logistics company controlling the Commercial Port of Vladivostok following defaults on two Eurobond issues.
- Representing a major Greek bank in a number of high-profile disputes before Russian courts in Moscow and Moscow Region involving foreclosure over secured assets, as well as in subsequent bankruptcy proceedings of Russian subsidiaries of a Greek development conglomerate following a EUR 40 million default under Greek law-governed facility agreements.
- Representing a major German bank in a number of disputes in Russia (Rostov, Stavropol and Krasnodar) against one of the largest agricultural companies in the CIS and its subsidiaries following a US$300 million default under English law-governed facility agreements.
- Representing German development conglomerate in several Russian disputes against a notorious businessman in St.-Petersburg emerging from pushing a Russian subsidiary into insolvency by concluding fake loan agreement and bringing the mother-companies to secondary liability for its debts.
- Representing Russian subsidiaries of International food and beverages company in a dispute for the recovery of damages exceeding US$30 million caused by a warehouse collapse.
- Representing a leading Austrian retail group in more than 35 disputes and a number of bankruptcy proceedings in Moscow and Saratov in connection with the misappropriation of certain retail assets of the group in more than 30 supermarkets in Moscow and Tula worth tens of millions of US Dollars and with the pledge of those assets to top Russian banks
- Representing a leading Austrian retail group in more than 35 disputes and a number of bankruptcy proceedings in Moscow and Saratov, which related to the misappropriation of certain of its retail assets in more than 30 supermarkets in Moscow and Tula worth tens of millions of dollars and the pledge of those assets to top Russian banks.
- Representing a U.S. government agency in bankruptcy proceedings initiated against top Russian banks - International Industrial Bank (Mezhprombank) and AMT Bank (formerly BTA Bank), as well as advising on court proceedings within the ongoing bankruptcy cases.
- Representing a major German bank in a high profile and multibillion US dollar insolvency case against the only steelmaker in the Russian Far East as well as in bankruptcy proceedings against a number of Russian banks.
- Representing an owner of a luxurious hotel and business centre in the heart of Moscow in a dispute against a minority shareholder resulting from a mandatory tender offer over shares worth over US$100 million.
- DL (with honours), Moscow State Linguistic University, 2009
- Russia, 2009
- Advocate, 2021