Sergey Komolov is a partner at our Corporate practice. Sergey specializes in corporate transactions and finance, both in Russia and abroad. He has considerable experience in consulting clients on corporate acquisitions, joint ventures, public and private finance, banking and corporate restructurings, as well as providing general corporate and transactional advice. Sergey has been involved in trendsetting mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and other complex transactions, both in Russia and abroad. Among his clients - Russia's biggest corporations. Sergey is also experienced in cross-border litigation and arbitration and has co-managed several high-profile cases in London, New York and other jurisdictions.
Prior to joining RGP Sergey worked as a partner and head of Moscow office at King & Spalding. Before that he was General Counsel to one of Russia's largest banks, where he oversaw complex projects and transactions, including private and syndicated borrowings; bond and note transactions; structured financings; securities and derivative deals; establishment of investment funds; securitizations; and bank mergers. Sergey is knowledgeable about the policies and practices of international financial institutions due to his experience in the World Bank's Legal Department.
Before practicing law, Sergey had a distinguished career in the Russian diplomatic service. He has authored numerous articles on legal and political issues for leading international and Russian publications.
Landmark engagement experience
- Representing an investor in connection with the first ever acquisition of renewable energy assets in Russia by a foreign non-utility company
- Working for two major Western corporations on the legal aspects of greenfield projects in Russia
- Representing one of the biggest Russian natural resources groups on several joint ventures and acquisitions
- Advising several big Russian banks in connection with asset deals, complex secured financings, mezzanine finance projects, and other transactions
- Supervising legal work on the first-ever negotiated financial restructuring of a major Russian bank
- Advising some of the top Russian real estate development groups on acquisitions and dispositions of assets
- Participating in several high profile international arbitrations
- LLM (with honours), Georgetown University, 1996
- JD (with honours), Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), 1982
- New York, 1997
- Russia, 1982
Recognitions & Awards
- Who's Who Legal: CIS 2010 - Banking, Insolvency and Restructuring
- Chambers and Partners Global, Chambers and Partners Europe 2009-2010 – recognized in Corporate and M&A, Russia
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2010, 2013 - has been ranked for Corporate and M&A, Russia
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2005-2008 - Capital Markets, Russia
- The Best Lawyers 2019-2022 – ranked among top M&A lawyers in Russia