Yan Kalish is a counsel at RGP in our Dispute Resolution practice. Prior to joining RGP Yan worked as an associate at the Moscow offices of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan and Baker Botts L.L.P.
Yan represents clients before arbitral tribunals acting under the rules of various institutions, including ICC, SCC, LCIA and SCAI. He also advises clients on complex cross-border litigations involving proceedings before the courts of the United States, Norway, British Virgin Islands, Cyprus, Singapore and Russia. Yan’s experience covers matters i.a. governed by New York, Delaware, English, Swedish, Norwegian, Singapore, Italian, German, BVI, Cypriot, Swiss, Bahamian, Panamanian and Russian law.
Yan Kalish takes active part in the activities of international arbitration community. He is a Co-Chair of The Arbitration Association 40 (RAA40) and Thought Leaders 4 FIRE CEE-CIS Committee, member of ICC Russia Commission on International Arbitration, Executive Secretary of the Commission for development of Arbitration and alternative settlement mechanisms of the Moscow regional department of the Association of lawyers of Russia. Yan is a member to other youth associations focused on development of international arbitration such as LCIA YIAG, ICC YAF, Young ICCA, ICDR Y&, etc. In 2021 Yan has been selected to become a member of the Reserve Panel of Arbitrators of the Tashkent International Arbitration Centre (TIAC).
Also, his activities include delivering various publications and speaking engagements.
Languages: Russian, English, Chinese HSK 3, German
Landmark engagement experience
- Representing Renova Group in a US$1 billion litigation case of exceptional factual and legal complexity in several jurisdictions. It concerns the ownership of IES (currently T Plus), Russia’s largest power generation company and one of the biggest privately-owned energy & natural resources companies in Russia. The matter is heard in the BVI court and governed by English and Russian law
- Representing a major industrial group in a litigation process in Cyprus
- Representing a prominent Russian businessman in a complex multiparty dispute involving a number of litigations and arbitrations in various jurisdictions and ending with a favourable settlement for the client
- Acting for an entity of the top Russian billionaire in a major dispute over one of the largest social networks in Europe – VKontakte, involving several proceedings in London, the US and offshore jurisdictions
- Representing an offshore company of a Russian businessman against his former partner in a dispute relating to recovery of debt. The opponent agreed to recover the debt in full and repay the client’s legal costs
- Acting for the participants of a multibillion joint venture managing major business in Russia and CIS in a complex corporate conflict regarding management of the JV and contractual obligations of the JV members. The dispute settled in a favourable outcome for the clients
- Representing the Russian Chess Federation in a dispute with the Organising Committee of the 2014 World Chess Olympiad in Tromsø, Norway, in connection with non-admission of the Russian women's team. As a result, the Russian team was admitted to compete and received official apologies from the organisers
- Representing a subsidiary of Group DF in proceedings in Russia regarding control over EMFESZ, a leading Hungarian gas trader with an annual turnover of over US$1 billion, which were resolved in favour of the client
- Representing Sukhoi Civil Aircraft in US court proceedings initiated by a US contractor regarding the development of the interior design for Sukhoi Business Jet aircraft. After an important victory on the opponents’ injunction application, which allowed presentation of the aircraft at the MAKS air show, the claim was withdrawn
- Representing an international IT company against St Petersburg district prosecutor in relation to alleged employment law violations, the allegations were withdrawn
- Due diligence of a large Russian oil equipment producer for the upcoming merger by the transnational company client
- Advising a Russian petroleum company with respect to trade restrictions imposed by the UN
- Sanctions advice for a prominent Russian businessman, involving the US and EU sanctions research and risks analysis
- Representing a Russian company in a multimillion dispute with a Western contractor relating to the construction of a unique high-tech plant in Russia in two parallel SCC and ICC arbitrations, involving issues of the scope and quality of works, liability for disruption of construction terms, return of advance payments and payments of penalties. The dispute was resolved by settlement on favourable terms for the client
- Representing one of the world’s leading mining groups, against one of the core production enterprises of the Russian metal industry in a multimillion LCIA arbitration out of an iron ore supply contract. Eventually the debtor proposed to settle and agreed to pay all the client’s claims, including principal debt, late payment interest and 100% of legal fees and arbitration costs
- Working on several US$ multibillion arbitrations arising out of a project to rebuild the Soviet-era Moskva Hotel
- Advising a large European company in connection with LCIA proceedings
- Ph.D. equivalent in politics, Peoples' Friendship University of Russia, 2018
- DL (with honours), Finance University under the Government of the Russian Federation, 2013
- Advocate, 2021
- Russia, 2013
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MСIArb)
Recognitions & Awards
- The Best Lawyers 2021-2022 - ranked among the top Arbitration&Mediation, International Arbitration and Litigation lawyers in Russia
- The Legal 500 "Arbitration Powerlist: CIS and Caucasus" - recommended among the leading arbitration experts of the region in 2020
Publications & public speaking
Joint webinar held by RGP, RSPP and Deloitte, moderated by Dmitry Dyakin.