“He’s very business-oriented, he’s very pragmatic and very commercial,” “He gives us very specific, tailored advice.” clients and the legal press
Suren Gortsunyan is a founding and managing partner of RGP and heads our Corporate practice. Suren specialises in advising both domestic and international companies on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, joint ventures, private equity transactions, international arbitration of corporate disputes and corporate restructurings. In 2019 Suren was included in the ICC Russia’s roster of arbitrators. His clients include companies in the real estate, retail and consumer, telecommunications, oil services, industrial and financial services sectors including fintech and blockchain.
Prior to founding RGP, Suren was a partner with Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld and, prior to that, a partner at Hogan Lovells and Lovells, a senior associate at White & Case and an associate at Herbert Smith CIS. He has extensive experience participating in legislative initiatives for the Russian Federation in the area of corporate and securities laws and has acted as an adviser to the Federal Commission on the Securities Market of the Russian Federation (currently the Bank of Russia). Suren was also a co-author of the commentary to the Russian Federal Law ‘On Insolvency (Bankruptcy)’ STATUT, 1998.
Landmark engagement experience
Mr. Gortsunyan’s engagements include (includes experience in prior firms)
Corporate and mergers and acquisitions
- Advising LLC NPO Altair, a member of AEON Corporation on the acquisition of Fincraft Holdings Limited, the largest shareholder in Petropavlovsk PLC
- Advising AEON Corporation on acquisition of a 48% stake in GeoProMining for US$126m
- Advising Finstar on the acquisition of Rive Gauche and, subsequently, on the disposal of a strategic stake in Rive Gauche
- Advising the Alfa-Access-Renova consortium on the amendment and restatement of the shareholders’ agreement for TNK-BP
- Advising the independent directors of IG Seismic Services PLC on the offer of one of its shareholders and related disclosure
- Advising the independent directors of Norilsk Nickel on the buyback of shares and various corporate transactions
- Advising a major Russian investment company on the sale of a strategic stake to a leading international bank
- Advising a Russian investment company on the sale of a strategic stake to a leading international bank and on related secured financing
- Advising a major Russian investment company on the acquisition of a major office complex in Moscow
- Advising Mosmart shareholders on its restructuring with Sberbank
- Advising a European company on the acquisition of a European bank
- Advising ING on the disposal of its Russian pension funds business to Aviva
- Advising Finstar on its disposal of Baltic Trust Bank (Latvia) to GE
- Advising TNK-BP on its corporate restructuring
- Advising Mosnarbank on its merger with Eurofinancebank
- Advising Deutsche Bank in connection with the acquisition of Sibneft by Gazprom
- Advising Alfa Group on its acquisition of a stake in VimpelCom and VimpelCom-Region
- Advising PFC CSKA on the sale of more than 75% of shares to State Development Corporation VEB.RF for ca USD250m
- Advising a major Russian investment company on the secured financing for the acquisition of a strategic stake
- Advising Altimo on its US$1.5 billion financing from Deutsche Bank secured by Russian shares and further refinancing of this loan with VEB
- Advising Lebedyansky on its initial public offering and related issues
- Advising Vozrozhdenie Bank on a private placement of shares
- Advising Geotech on a private placement of shares to a consortium of investors led by JP Morgan
- Advising Power Machines on the secondary public offering of its shares
- Defending claims arising out of business dealings involving allegations of fraud, dishonesty, conspiracy, economic duress, unfair advantage and breach of contract; negotiating, documenting and implementing a multimillion-dollar settlement; representing the defendant in LCIA arbitration proceedings
- Representing claimants in LCIA arbitration proceedings for the recovery of a multimillion-dollar debt under a loan agreement
- Representing claimants in Stockholm arbitration proceedings under the terms of a contract for the transfer of real estate in Florida
- Representing the defendant in ICAC arbitration proceedings defending a loan recovery claim and making an unjust enrichment counterclaim
- Representing a Russian shareholder in an ad hoc arbitration claim against its European co-majority shareholder under a shareholders’ agreement
- DL, Russian Law Academy, 1998
- LLB, Russian Law Academy, 1997
- Russia (1997)
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales (2010)
Recognitions & Awards
- The Best Lawyers 2018 - 2020 - – ranked among the top Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Capital Markets and Private Equity lawyers in Russia.
- The Best Lawyers 2008-2017 - ranked among Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity lawyers in Russia.
- Chambers Global 2009, 2010, 2012-2018 - ranked for Corporate/M&A work.
- Chambers Europe 2009, 2010, 2012-2018 - ranked among the top Corporate/M&A lawyers in Russia.
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018 - ranked among the top Commercial, Corporate and M&A lawyers in Russia.
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2017 - ranked for Commercial/Corporate/M&A and Real Estate / Construction work.
- IFLR-1000 2018-2020 - ranked as highly regarded M&A specialist for Russia.