“Clients appreciate his experience, highlighting that he has ‘excellent intuition; he’s very good at knowing exactly when to do the right thing.’ Sources further note his pragmatism, pointing out that ‘he doesn’t waste time; he is extraordinarily efficient and focused.” Chambers and Partners Global 2020 “Very gifted strategist.” Leading Individuals, The Legal 500 EMEA 2020
Dmitry Dyakin is the Co-head of our Dispute Resolution practice. Dmitry has vast experience representing the government and major state corporations, Russian and foreign companies operating in various industries, including oil and gas, banking, and construction. Dmitry has handled numerous arbitrations under the arbitration rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), and the ICAC of the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Prior to joining RGP, Dmitry Dyakin was a partner and co-head of the Litigation & Arbitration practice at a leading Russian law firm.
Dmitry is admitted to the Moscow Bar Association and is a member of its International Relationships Committee. Dmitry leads the ICC Arbitration Commission in Russia and the Investment Arbitration Working Group of the Russian Arbitration Association. He is a member of the Russia/Eurasia Committee of the American Bar Association (ABA), the International Bar Association (IBA), the Users Council of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and the Users Council of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC). Dmitry is included in the list of arbitrators of the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), the Tehran Regional Arbitration Centre (TRAC), the Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC), he is also a Member of the Panel of Arbitrators at The Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA) and his questionnaire is added to the List of Practitioners on VIAC's website. Included into the Russian Arbitrators Guide: Next Generation (2021).
In 2017 Dmitry was appointed as the Chairman of the Presidium of the Arbitration Centre at the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RUIE) and was elected to the RUIE Management Board in 2018.
Dmitry is a member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, mandate 2021-2024. In 2021 Dmitry was also appointed as a member of SIAC Court of Arbitration.
Landmark engagement experience
- Investment Arbitration and Investment Disputes
- Representing a Russian investor in a US$500 million dispute related to metallurgical asset expropriation in the territory of an Eastern European state
- Representing the Russian Federation in a US$1 billion tax dispute arising out of a production sharing agreement
- Representing Saint Petersburg in a dispute over the termination of a concession agreement and recovery of losses amounting to ₽500 million
- Advising a US investor and preparing a cooling-off notice in a dispute related to aviation asset expropriation in the territory of a CIS member state
- Advising a Russian investor in a dispute related to petrochemical asset expropriation in the territory of a CIS member state
- Representing Client in an international arbitration against a sovereign state under the ICSID AF Rules
- Representing a Russian investor in an ad hoc arbitration against Lithuania under the UNCITRAL Rules
International Commercial Arbitration
- Representing a petrochemical company in arbitration proceedings under the SCC Rules in a dispute arising out of a transhipment contract
- Advising a Russian contractor and a design institute in arbitration proceedings under the SIAC Rules with respect to a dispute over the recovery of debt arising out of a construction contract
- Representing a Danish agro-industrial holding in arbitration proceedings under the SCC Rules with respect to a dispute arising out of a purchase and sale agreement
- Representing a Russian state-owned company in an arbitration under the LCIA Rules in connection with a dispute arising out of a purchase and sale agreement
- Representing a nationalized Irish bank in Russian bankruptcy proceedings, corporate disputes, real estate disputes and parallel litigations and arbitrations in Ukraine, Ireland, Panama, and Belize
- Representing members of a bank’s board of directors in a bankruptcy matter regarding directors’ subsidiary liability
- Representing a Dutch bank in connection with a bankruptcy case involving its debtor and in a parallel dispute on the invalidation of loan agreements tried by a court of general jurisdiction, including before the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation
- Representing a Lithuanian leasing company in connection with the enforcement of an international arbitral award against an air carrier domiciled in a CIS member state
- Representing a major construction and engineering company in a dispute related to compensation for environmental damage due to disposal of a vessel in the Caspian Sea
- Representing a major petrochemical holding company in a dispute with a constituent entity of the Russian Federation and municipal entity related to having the co-funding deals of a regional environmental project recognized as terminated
- Representing a new owner of bank‘s shares acquired at a bankruptcy tender. Invalidation of a tender (a separate bankruptcy sub-case)
- Executive MBA, London Business School and Columbia Business School, 2013
- LL.M., New York University School of Law (USA), 2009
- M.P.L., Russian School of Private Law, 2007
- Honours Degree in Law, Moscow State Social University, 2000
- Russia, 2000
- Advocate, 2003
Recognitions & Awards
- Chambers and Partners Global 2020 – Band 2, Dispute Resolution: International - Russia
- Chambers and Partners Europe 2020 – Band 2, Dispute Resolution: International - Russia
- Legal 500 EMEA 2020 – Leading individuals: Restructuring and Insolvency, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and Mediation. Also featured in Intellectual Property and Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2021 – Leading Individuals: Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and Mediation
- The Legal 500 "Arbitration Powerlist: CIS and Caucasus" - recommended among the leading arbitration experts of the region in 2020
- Global Arbitration Review – listed among Russia's top arbitration practitioners
- The Best Lawyers 2009-2022- ranked among the top Arbitration and Mediation, Competition/Antitrust Law, Government Practice, International Arbitration, Investment and Litigation lawyers in Russia
- Pravo.ru-300 – recommended lawyers in International Litigation, International Arbitration, Domestic Dispute Resolution (Major Disputes – High Market)
- "Kommersant" ranking - ranked among leading individuals specializing in International Arbitration, International Disputes, Transportation and logistics
Publications & public speaking
Joint webinar held by RGP, RSPP and Deloitte, moderated by Dmitry Dyakin.